Friday 23 May 2008

Agley



Plan-A for today was to cycle over to meet up with an old friend for lunch, at a pub about 9 miles away. Apart from a good chat, that would have put about 18 miles on the clock.

Then, I started to dither about whether I could afford the time, and wondered if I should take the car instead. So Plan-B was to squash the doubts by booking the car in for it's MOT test - which meant I would have to ride.

Unfortunately my friend had to back out at the last minute.

So instead I invoked Plan-C and spent lunch-time cleaning the bike. I paid particular attention to removing muck from the chain, which had become something of a mess. Then later I took the bike to go and pick up the car from its MOT. On the way I pootled around a few more back streeets that haven't yet made it onto Open Street Map.

So in the end, it was a lot less than 18 miles, but at least I did get out. I also have a clean bike, and the car is signed off by the Ministry of Transport. Unfortunately, as the final cock-up of the day, I messed up the GPS, and lost today's track. So I will have to re-work the back streets if I'm going to plot them.

The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men Gang aft agley

No comments: