Sunday 2 November 2008

Warfield



After miserable weather yesterday, things looked a bit better today. I wanted to clock up a few miles, without getting too far from home. So I decided to explore the back roads between Maidenhead and Bracknell.

It turned out to be a good plan.

Usually I don't do too badly finding my way around, but for some reason, I seem to have a bit of a mental block about this part of Berkshire. I have got myself lost a few times and followed some unneccessarily convoluted routes. I regularly come to junctions where I expect to turn in one direction, but the road signs point in the other.

Today, a bit of confusion worked to my advantage. I discovered some lovely little lanes, where horses were the only other traffic. With the GPS I managed to trace a few of them (lanes, not horses) and add them to Open Street Map.

What's more, I kept surprising myself by coming across stretches of road that were familiar from previous outings, including the one to the church in Warfield. So now I should be able to piece together the jigsaw in my mind a bit better, and I ought to feel more confident about finding my way around. Time, and future trips will tell whether I am kidding myself.

In total, I covered 37 miles, at a fairly brisk pace (to keep warm on a cold day).

No comments: