Sunday 7 February 2010

"Cycling may be dangerous to people coming out of church"



There are two things that need to be said up front.

One is that I don't normally cycle in churchyards. I'm not sure that I can explain why, but even sticking to the paths, it does feel disrespectful to cycle through a graveyard. So normally when I am visiting a church on the bike I get off at the gate, and I push.

The second thing to point out is that at the church where I took this picture there is a footpath that crosses the churchyard. It runs close to the church door and it seems to be quite heavily used.

So placed in context, the sign makes a lot of sense, and I'm all in favour of the spirit that lies behind it.

However,.....

In the different context of the more bizarre attacks on cycling and cyclists, I find the idea that "cycling may be dangerous to people coming out of church" quite funny. And I offer this up in that spirit.

No comments: