Sunday, 14 February 2010

Result of a rainy weekend

It's been a rainy weekend, so I've not been out on the bike. Instead I've been playing around with OpenLayers, trying out an idea suggested by Richard Fairhurst that shows how scale varies when you plot a round planet on a flat screen. I've made some progress, and I think this illustrates the idea. It's all a bit clunky under the hood, though, because I'm still climbing a steep learning curve on how all this stuff works. If this weather continues I might get a chance to refine it a bit.

I've started to make a few improvements.

For one thing, it's now possible to configure the units used (as "metric" or "imperial") and the colour (using the standard html colour set = aqua, black, blue, fuchsia, gray, green, lime, maroon, navy, olive, purple, red, silver, teal, white, and yellow, plus browser dependent alternatives). Using darkblue matches the OSM controls.

Our former colonies should note the English spelling of the "colour" parameter.

No comments: