Saturday 1 March 2008

February roundup



Yesterday marked the end of my first full month with the new bike. I am fairly satisfied with the amount of effort I have put in, pleased with the results; and delighted with the new bike.

The total distance covered at the end of February was 335 miles, which gets me to somewhere just south of Paris on my virtual European tour, and on track for my goal of covering 2,500 miles by the end of the year. This year I have done ten trips of more than ten miles, and I have ridden my age in kilometres twice, but I have not yet ridden my age in miles.

I have succeeded in the aim that I will "get out on the bike more often than not" in every week of February; with at least four outings every week, and six outings in three of them. I have also achieved my goal of covering at least 56 miles a week in every week of February.

Total mileage in February was 273 miles, the longest trip was 41 miles, and the average just under 12 miles.

I have now visited 7 of the 12 Jenkins churches that I am planning to visit by the end of the year. So although the remaining distances are getting longer, that goal may prove a bit unambitious.

I still need to work on getting faster - I am averaging round 10 mph on shorter journeys. Including breaks, I average about 7 miles an hour on longer journeys. I think I should be doing better.

Last, but not least, I have been able to move my belt buckle in by two notches since I started, which is better than I expected by this stage.

I reckon it is not a bad start, on the whole. The trick now is to keep it up.

No comments: