Sunday 21 June 2009

Thomas à Becket

Bramley, Saint James, Thomas à Becket

This is a medieval wall painting, of Thomas à Becket, dating from 1225, in Saint James Church, Hampshire. That means it was painted only 55 years after he was murdered.

This is the 12th, and last church in the list that I am trying to reach on the bike this year, and the 25th that I have ridden to since I started this project. So this is a bit of a milestone.

As the crow flies, this is the most distant of the churches on this year's list, but the ride itself wasn't a particularly long one. That's largely because a straight line on the map took me along quite a few pleasant roads that I hadn't tried before. So there was no incentive to wander more widely. I got a bit muddled around Stratfield Saye on the way out, but on the way back I got through Winnersh Triangle without getting lost. The total came to 58 miles.

All in all it was a very pleasant day.

No comments: