Saturday 28 February 2009

Rickmansworth



This picture of barges at Rickmansworth festival dates from nearly two years ago, but today I've passed the same point on route from Maidenhead to Saint Albans.

Sustrans National Cycle Route 61 would have taken me nearly all of the way, along the Jubilee River, the Grand Union canal, Colne Valley and Ebury way, with a few linking sections. In practice I chose to bypass the Jubilee river part, and instead I worked round the north of Slough to Uxbridge for the sake of time.

By the time I had made my way there and back I had covered 71 miles (and a bit). That's my longest ride yet, and the first of more than 100km. In the process I crossed off another church from my Jenkins quest (Holy Rood at Watford). It was a great outing, and a marvellous route, but I feel exhausted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That is a lot of miles in one day. I think you can revise your "About me" paragraph now. I don't think 71 miles in a day = sedentary!

gom1 said...

Thanks JW - it was a long way!

Anonymous said...

Sounds a great ride, just wish I could get sorted for such a long cycle ride, I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment, just doing the same old 20-25 mile loop everyday.

gom1 said...

Thanks for the comment WC. Rut or not, 20-25 miles a day is going some. Keep up the good work. My excuse for this trip was to visit my son, and scrounge lunch (which was excellent BTW). But I did worry about slipping into a rut myself, and so I've had to work quite hard at creating other excuses (Jenkins churches, OSM, Round Berkshire, etc). I'll work up a post about all this sooner or later.