Friday 29 February 2008

Previously on tlatet....



New readers start here, to find out why a well-rounded man in his mid fifties, with a sedentary lifestyle, a number of unhealthy habits, and little previous history of physical exercise, has suddenly started mumbling about bicycles and loosely related stuff.

It all started with a minor health scare a couple of years ago. Not long afterwards I decided I needed to do something about the condition I was in. So I bought myself a bike. After nearly forty years as a lapsed cyclist, I rediscovered how much fun cycling can be.

For about nine months I enthusiastically trundled around the local area, exploring the countryside, and getting a bit thinner.

Then, just as the novelty began to wear off, a series of unrelated events got in the way of regular cycling. I began to use the bike less and less, until by late 2007 it only got the occassional outing.

As luck would have it, just before Christmas a burglar made off with the old bike, and I got the chance to start again.

In January I bought myself a new bike. Having learned what I enjoyed most about the previous one, I chose something lighter and suitable for longer and more demanding rides.

For the last month I have been gradually extending the length of my trips, and I am getting back into better shape; but I still fear that the enthusiasm will wear off eventually unless I guard against it. So I have set myself a number of challenges to keep up the interest.

This blog is both a record of how the various challenges are progressing, and an extra incentive to keep going. It is mostly read by members of my close family, but a couple of dozen others have visited since it began, including some from North America and Africa. All are welcome. The more the merrier. Apart from anything else, an audience lets me kid myelf that I must keep going, so that I don't let anyone down. I hope you enjoy my ramblings.

No comments: