Tuesday 12 February 2008

Plordits



This has nothing much to do with cycling.

Normally at this time in the evening, if I was watching anything, I would be watching Newsnight on BBC2. However, last week I got the new Freeview box working properly, so tonight I've been channel hopping.

I've just realised that I've ended up in front of BBC Parliament for the last hour; fascinated by the Economic Affairs Committee of the House of Lords, taking evidence on the economic impact of immigration.

Apart from high standards of courtesy, everyone involved seems committed, well-adjusted, well informed, and articulate. It is a treat to see witnesses being asked thoughful questions, and then given the space to deliver a considered reply.

The result is more interesting, more informative and more thought provoking than the adolescent sneering that poor old Paxo is forced to impose on us by his keepers.

The Economic Affairs Committee of the House of Lords may not be as entertaining as Newsnight, but then Newsnight isn't as entertaining as Top Gear. Right now, as intelligent current affairs TV, I reckon that the lords are out-performing them both.

No comments: