Friday 16 August 2019

Yesterday I rode to Scotland

Yesterday I rode to Scotland. That's not as impressive as it sounds, because I started from Etal. However, on a round trip of more than 30 miles, I reached the marvellous Union Chain Bridge, and rode across to pay a ceremonial visit.

From Etal I first headed east, beyond Bowsden to Lowick Mill. A strong following wind helped me up the climb. Then I turned north towards Ancroft. There followed a long stretch into a strong headwind, which wasn't a lot of fun. Then the drop down into Horncliffe and the River Tweed went more easily.

By now I was running late and getting tired. I skipped a planned stop at the Honey Farm, and when I reached Norham I called home to say that my return would be later than intended. The scenery was lovely on the final leg south to Etal - but it was hard work.

In summary, I've discovered (nicked) a great route for a fitter cyclist. It's almost entirely on quiet rural back-roads. There's very little traffic. The rolling landscape makes for variety, and offers some terrific distant views. There are memorable highlights at the Union Bridge across the River Tweed, at Norham Castle, the path along the banks of the River Till near Etal, and at Etal itself. Yesterday a strong wind didn't help, but I've learned an important lesson about my own limitations: I hit them at less than 30 miles. For now.

No comments: