Friday 20 January 2012

Impersonating a police officer



Today's destination on the bike was this odd structure, which is called Ratcheugh Observatory. It isn't an observatory in the same sense as the Royal Observatory at Greenwich, or Jodrell Bank.

It was commissioned by the 1st Duke of Northumberland, and designed by Robert Adam towards the end of the 18th century. The room on pillars allowed the Duke to observe his lands (or at least part of them). It was one of a number of monuments that he built in memory of his wife (who died in 1776) at their favourite picnic spots. That seems rather sweet, but their favourite picnic spots mostly seem to have been in places where they could admire the extent of the properties they owned.

This was also my first chance to try out my new GPS, but more of this later.

It was a nice ride, and good to get out, but it was a bit of a grey day. So I was wearing a bright yellow, high visibility jacket. On my way home, I passed a police station, and a toddler in a buggy yelled out "look mummy, there's my daddy". It was all a bit like Jenny Agutter in the Railway Children. I don't think I've ever been mistaken for a policeman before. Thankfully, the mother had better eyesight.

1 comment:

CowTheory said...

Does rather question the child's eyesight. An amazing structure!