Sunday 14 June 2009

When I grow up I want to be Simon Sharma



When I grow up I want to be Simon Sharma. However, my wife tells me that this is unlikely to happen. So I've been thinking that maybe I should be David Aaronovitch instead. But apparently the problem isn't so much with the Simon Sharma bit. Unfortunatley, it's more to do with the growing up bit.

My hopes have been dashed, but life must go on. Miles must be cycled, churches must be be visited, ways must be added to Open Street Map.

So today I set off for Saint Lawrence at Stanmore, to see the ceiling paintings, and the organ that Handel played (and tick off the 24th church on my Jenkins quest).

The day was hot, and the route involved quite a lot of North-West London suburb. That's not as boring as some might think, but it's not really in the same league as the destination. This church cleverly combines some remarkably rich detailing and quite a plain building. Neither on its own is really my thing, but the combination is very appealing.

I rode through Uxbridge, Ruislip, Pinner, and Harrow Weald, and I've traced nearly 60 miles of the route. Tomorrow I will check, but these are areas that are already pretty well covered on OSM at the level that I was gathering data. So I suspect that I will be able to plug no more than a couple of minor gaps. Still I had a good day. I hope that, in their own way, Simon and David did too.

No comments: