Sunday 7 June 2009

Mad King George



In Windsor Great Park there is a huge statue of George III on the top of a hill, at the end of the Long Walk, in direct line of sight from the castle.

You would think it would be easy to find.

It's probably worth pointing out that you are not allowed to ride a bike on the obvious route, along the Long Walk. But it still doesn't say a lot for my navigation skills that it's taken me four or five attempts to find another route to the statue, which is known as the "copper horse".

However, this afternoon I finally made it, in fairly grim weather, with light drizzle on the way out, a heavy shower when I got there (I sheltered under a tree for a while), then more drizzle for half the journey back.

It's a horrible statue, but I'm glad I've finally crossed this off my list of things to visit on the bike.



Even better, on the way down the hill I rode past a herd of deer that were making their way across the road.

Even if it was possible, it's not a good idea to get too close, so the picture seems a bit unimpressive. In the real world, seeing so many deer at (fairly) close quarters was something memorable.

No comments: