Monday 13 April 2009

Silchester angel



I managed a long ride today, of just over 60 miles, to reach Silchester and tick off another church in my Jenkins quest.

St Mary at Silcester is another lovely old church, which lies inside the surviving walls of the Roman town of Calleva Atrebatum, and dates from the 13th century. It contains some impressive woodwork, including a row of angels along the top of the Chancel Screen.

The route I took was a dash along the A4 to Reading, just to cover distance quickly. Then I followed National Cycle Route 4 along the Kennet & Avon Canal. This part was new ground for me, and it was very pleasant, though a bit slow because of the number of people who were out for a walk on a fine Bank Holiday Monday.

When I reached Midgham I turned south, and made my way on more familiar roads to Aldermaston then Silchester. To get home I followed National Cycle Route 23, and the Round Berkshire Cycle Route.

I should have got myself a bit better organised for lunch. Shops were closed, pubs were busy, and I left it all a bit too late. I should have attempted more long rides in recent weeks, so that my legs weren't suffering quite so much as they now are. But the destination, the route, and the weather couldn't have been bettered. It was a good way to spend a bank holiday.

No comments: